Thursday, October 2, 2008

Canning is COOL, I can- can you?





Remember, just a few years back when it was so hip knit? Well I never joined that train but canning?
All the cool kids are doing it these days. It's fun to do all by yourself- or with friends. I learned about 10 years ago when we bought a house with some really great fruit trees and berry bushes. I used the old school wax method- channeling my inner Laura Ingalls Wilder I guess.
I usually use plain old Ball jars- some bought fresh from the grocery store, some from thrift stores and garage sales.
Weck has beautiful jars that a friend of mine uses-next year!
The Bitten Word has a fun little post about their adventures.
So far this year I've done clementine chutney, apricot chutney, salsa, green chili, spicy plum jam, peach jam, vanilla peach jam, and apricot jam. It's not just the economy, it's also more appetizing to reach for a beautiful jar than a block of frozen ziplock bags buried deep in the frost of the freezer. They are so pretty-great gifts too- tie a handmade modern printed tags and presto-instant coolio.
The Sunset Jam photo is from kfergo.

No comments: